Do you need your manuscript edited? Here are the various services I provide, with all edits made directly in your manuscript via track changes and comment bubbles. Prices below are based on a double-spaced manuscript with 1-inch margins, using Times New Roman size 12 font (industry standard for formatting). Edits are done in one round; unfortunately, at this time I am unable to re-edit projects, unless you wish to hire me for The Works and need that broken into two rounds: first pass content editing, second pass line editing (Note: breaking The Works into two rounds may be dependent on scheduling, so please ask when you email me). Please note, I don't provide proofreading/final page pass or copy editing services.
- $2.00 per page—Content critiquing (developmental edits). I will focus solely on the story, providing in-depth thoughts within the manuscript on point of view, characterization, showing vs telling, description, sensory details, dialogue, setting, pacing, plot, etc. If needed, I can also brainstorm possible solutions with you after I deliver the manuscript to help fix content issues (please note, I often do so inside the manuscript, making comments and suggestions as I go). No line edits.
- $2.50 per page—Line edits. I will identify the following: awkward or unclear sentences, repetition of sentence patterns, overused words/phrases ("crutch" words), inauthentic-sounding dialogue, body parts acting independently, dangling modifiers, noun/pronoun mismatch, grammar and syntax errors, etc., plus make suggestions for corrections. I will also correct any punctuation errors/typos I find. No content edits.
- $3.50 per page—Medium-level content critiquing with line edits. I will provide full line edits, plus offer a critique on big-picture content issues I find within the manuscript (overall issues in characterization, plot holes, pacing problems, etc).
- $4.50 per page—The Works (content critiquing with line edits). I will provide full line edits, plus thoroughly critique the content.
Are you looking to polish a query and/or synopsis before sending it off to an editor or agent? I can help with that, as well! Here are the rates for those services:
- $15—1-page query letter line edits. I will also ask questions and make comment on plot points I feel are unclear. (NOTE: it helps if you also provide your synopsis so I can ensure the query letter content is presented as strongly and effectively as possible)
- $30—up to a 5-page (double-spaced) synopsis line edits. I will also ask questions and make comment on plot points I feel are unclear.
With my years of experience editing a wide variety of manuscripts for publishers such as Siren Publishing and Carina Press, as well as being a multi-published author with Simon & Schuster, Kensington, and Berkley, I've learned how to edit a story to showcase its strengths and constructively address issues, WITHOUT editing the life and author's voice out of the manuscript.
Interested? Have a question for me? Send an email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org! Let me know the word count of the manuscript, the genre, and the level of edits desired.